January 13, 2015

Writers Block and Obsession

So I have this problem where I'll start a piece and be enamored with it for a certain amount of time and then I lose the drive and can't write. I don't know where to begin or end or how to do the middle. The entire piece and everything I write seems hasty and too short. My first chapters could be long and then suddenly these chapters will be ridiculously short. They also start looking like I cut and paste my other chapters and just changed a few things. The piece dies, then I go off and do something else that I can obsess over, and often times these obsessions will last from a line to a page. The exception is a 13 page fanfiction for the lion king I wrote. Lion King I'm sorry for the amount of errors, I'm using wordpad, and I don't usually check my spelling.

While I have an obsession I will be immersed in my writing and then suddenly have no direction; say it's terrible and then quit.

Anyway there are three reasons that I find I stop writing:
1) writing block
2) I started writing because of  book I am reading
3) I go long periods without writing

For the first one, just take a short one hour break to watch a funny video, relax or do something else. There are many solutions and you can look them up. You could also look at inspiration photos or pictures of things that you find relaxing or like.

For the second one I just suggest you drop the writing. Writing off someone else can be problematic due to the fact that you are your own person and should not try to copy someone else. Or you could make this a 'fallback' piece that you write when you have nothing else.

For the last one then I would try to avoid, but if you have to: try to ease back into your plot. Create new characters. Is there a part of your story you want to revise? Revise it

No comments:

Post a Comment